Siren of the Sea (1911)
- The first mermaid film of all time came during the rise of the silent movies, with Annette Kellerman in a leading role. She reprised her role in
several of her upcoming movies ("Neptune's Daughter" in 1914, "A Daughter of the Gods" in 1916, "Queen of the Sea" in 1918 and "Venus of the South
Seas" in 1924), and several decades later Esther Williamsplayed the role of Kellerman in the biographical musical film that followed her career.
- This British comedy movie centered on mermaid (played by Glynis Johns) received much fame in its time, so much so that the two leading male roles
(Googie Withers and Griffith Jones) went on to film new movies about their adventures.
Mad About Men (1954)
- Glynis Johns reprised her role of mermaid Miranda in a new romantic adventure on the land.
Beach Blanket Bingo (1965)
- This comedy movie is today remembered for one of its plot stories which had one of the characters fall in love with a mermaid that was played by
actress Marta Kristen of Lost in Space fame.
Local Hero (1984)
- This award winning Scottish comedy-drama film follows the life of American oil company representative who has an intention to buy one small Scottish
town and the surrounding lands. One of the plots of the movie is centered on his mysterious love interest, which is suspected by some to be a mermaid.
- With Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah playing read role, this fantasy based romantic comedy gained big success with its sense of humor and romantic
situations that revolved around the quest of a mermaid (Hannah) to gain the love of a man (Hanks) while concealing her true nature from him. Sequel
"Splash, Too" was released four years later and it featured brand new cast of lead characters. Hong Kong spin-off of original "Splash" was released in
1994 under the name "Mermaid Got Married". It featured a storyline in which school teacher got in love with a mermaid that saved his life when he was a
Talk Dirty To Me Part III (1984)
- This adult movie was famous today because of the circumstances leading to its withdrawal from US market. Withdrawal happened when American public
found out that the lead star in the movie was Tracy Lords, who was then underage. Current versions of the movie all feature new segments with Lisa De
Leeuw in a role of mermaid that Lords played in original.
The Little Mermaid (1989)
- This worldwide known animated movie form Disney brought to life timeless story of the mermaid that was depicted in the original fairytale written by
Hans Christian Andersen in 1836. Film follows the quest of the mermaid princess to win the love of the prince that lives on the land, and in the
process of doing so she surrendered her voice to the evil sea goddess so that she could be transformed into human. The end of the movie differs from
original fairytale, and gives more satisfied happy ending.
- Movie adaptation of the famous Scottish fairy tale written by J. M. Barrie featured mermaids briefly when main character (Robin Williams) was dropped
in the ocean. The 2003 adaptation of the same fairytale also only features mermaids briefly.
She Creature (2001)
- This was the first in the line of the movies in the "Mermaid Chronicles". It follows the story of a young Irish man who discovers captured Mermaid
and decides to transport her to America. During the journey on the sea, crew slowly starts noticing that the mermaid is more dangerous that she seemed.
- Influenced buy the Little Mermaid, American director Ian Barry made television film "Mermaids" which followed the quest of three mermaids (played by
Serah D'Laine, Nikita Ager and Australian model Erika Heynatz) in their quest to avenge the death of their father.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005)
- First movie in the line of adaptation of the famous Narnia books made by C. S. Lewis briefly featured mermaids at the end of the story.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
- Similarly with the Narnia books, fourth movie from the Harry Potter series briefly featured mermaid during one of the magical tasks that protagonists
had to solve.
- This teen fantasy comedy film made in Australia features the adventures of one mermaid (played by Sara Paxton), who travels to the land where he
meets two friends (Emma Roberts and JoJo).
Empires of the Deep (2011)
- One of the most expensivemovies made in China is centered on mermaids and merfolk. Its story follows the life of a unlikely love between a man and
mermaid, set in a mysterious and fantasy land filled with adventures and dangers.
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- Forth film in the popular "Pirates of the Carribean" series has a big focus on mermaids. They are depicted as both dangerous and aggressive creatures
as well as having ability for love and compassion.